EA Execs Dump Millions Worth of Company Stock Amid Crisis

RabidRebel

TAC Moderator
The thing that worries me is a push for more profit to shore up disasters will likely result in a release of Anthem before it is actually ready. I've seen multiple concerned reviews about its status. They should take a little extra time to assuage the community they fixed the server issues at the very least. If Anthem fails, I'm not sure how this will play out for EA. Then again, not feeling too bad after what they did to the sim city franchise.

NetRngr

TAC Moderator
IMHO EA needs to take the stance of we will release no game before its time. 99% of their issues, as well as most publishers/developers is the fact that they push out games regardless of their completion and try to patch all the broken / missing stuff after the fact and well consumers dont dig that at all. The company that "gets" this and starts pushing games only when they are ready will become the new favorite among consumers. I dont know why its so difficult for these companies to understand... well yeah I do.
They aren't run by gamers anymore. Look at EA now vs 20 years ago or more
The only person with any gaming experience, and its limited, is Wilson everyone else is a Lawyer or a MBA bean counter. This is what happens when you run a game publisher and have no connection to the gaming community.

RabidRebel

TAC Moderator
When you are more interested in making profit and taking home an obscene compensation package than running a company well, this happens. It keeps happening across multiple sectors. Some hotshot executive pounces in for millions of dollars to bring general managing package X that worked elsewhere. Stock prices uptick on the news but it's internally toxic to the company. Executive jumps off the plane with a golden parachute. Rinse and repeat. The company spirals because the people actually doing the work crater out, the product suffers, and the customers lose trust. No company is safe from this but yet what hotshot executive loses in the mix? None. They still get paid millions.

Sadly, until we fix this cycle, the scrappy management staff who built the companies and deserve some payout will leave and the cycle will begin.

EA is going to have to do some house cleaning to bring back a management culture that cares as much about gaming as they do their pocket books. There isn't an incentive package that can magically do that though.

Axlerod

TAC Moderator
Net I agree with you. All the publishers are doing this. Some are worse than others. The companies need to release a full game when it is ready. Not when the stock is down.
EA has to have learned this with BFV and releasing it early and only half content. They will release the second half of the game and call it free DLC I suspect.

NetRngr

TAC Moderator
I will be honest I actually had a glimmer of hope for EA when they said "Hey look, Hardline is broken and not ready for release so yeah based on your input we are delaying it." and the game was much better for it. I still say Hardline was fun but probably should not have been branded as a BF title. Rename it to Blue Line or some shit and market it as what it was a cops and robbers shooter. I have to say I enjoyed the single player on that one more than a lot of single player games I have played.
IMHO the main thing the development studios need to do is to engage their core audience more and the publishing house needs to get the fu*k out of their way. Jack Frags posted an interview video a week or so ago where he randomly selected people playing BF V and asked them questions in game. Almost every one of them said:
  • They preferred BF V to BF1
  • More maps were needed
  • The gunplay and TTK were awesome
  • The game needs rented servers with good admin control
There is your list Dice/EA, make that happen and people will be good to go. As a developer and publisher they cannot continue to listen to the minority and ignore the core audience any longer or it will most assuredly kill the franchise. Again as Rabid put it, this is what happens when a development studio has a hit. The company that published the game usually ends up pouring buckets of money on the owners allowing them to retire to some paradise and light cigars with hundred dollar bills. New CEOs come in, do what they learned in silly shit 101, bail, rinse, repeat until the next big thing happens.
Most recent example - PUBG.
The only company to have broken this so far is Epic with Fortnite and they seem to be on a good path. UbiSoft has been pretty decent about trying to meet expectations but Far Cry 5 was kind of a train wreck as far as the whole expansions / addons thing but the game itself was pretty solid.
I dunno.. just a sad situation.

Axlerod

TAC Moderator
Electronic Arts stock heads toward largest drop in more than a decade after earnings miss USD −12.31 (13.31%)

Largest price drop in 10 years! WOW good job EA. I guess this is what people think of their better player experience. "SOON"

Top Bottom