Lower temperature on Nvidia Graphics Card

RogueSteward

TAC Member
FYI, I just bought a new graphics card from Nvidia. The temperatures were routinely hitting 83C, very toasty in my opinion, while the CPU was barely reaching 65C. Apparently, some new graphics card come stock with a fan profile set to a high running temp. My graphics card was actually set from the factory to run at 83C! I mean WTF! That is hot and I don't want my new card to die prematurely. I had to use a 3rd party program to set the fan profile, now the card barely reaches 65C. Yes, it was quieter before, now the fans spin up and it is louder, but at least the card is cool. It came from the factory with a max fan speed of 80%!!!!!!!

AngryOIFVeteran

TAC Member
So from my understanding of GPU's, they are optimized to run in the 80°c range. When they get above 90°c that's when you should worry. But check with the manufacturer to see what the operating temperature range is. I don't worry personally about gpu temp till it gets to high 80's. But, running something like MSI afterburner and tweaking your card to get it where you want things to be. I don't reccomend OC the card unless you know what you're doing. But in short, GPU's running in the 80's is normal.

=CDU= Rogue Warrior

CDU Member
did you use the EVGA Precision XOC program? I run Liquid cooling, and I never get over 41-42* with BF running all Ultra, while at idle 30*

RogueSteward

TAC Member
Yes, I'm using EVGA Precision XOC. I was very skeptical running it since my card is an Nvidia Founders Edition GPU. But, it worked, and the EVGA program recognized my card and it's stock settings. Those are some low temps Rogue running at max usage! Very nice! I'm jelly!

I guess I come from the old school where heat == wear and tear. I guess I've never read any documentation that shows a computing device will work better the hotter it gets. I've been taught that resistance and current create heat. Further, increased heat increases resistance. Therefore, the hotter a device gets, the more resistance there will be therefore more heat is generated for the same amount of current. The more heat that gets generated, well frankly, things begin to melt and degrade.

The cooler a device is, the less resistance there will be, therefore it should run more efficient. Resistance will be less on a cooler device which basically means an electron has less impeding paths to get from one end of the circuit to the other and is why a cooler device can run faster and with more current.

Gator

TAC Founder
If your card is only running at 65c, then I would have to say that is not running at full power (Hz). The cards get hot ...very hot.

RogueSteward

TAC Member
I'm just using stock clock rates, I'm not overclocking it. There are many others in reddit with the same experience as me and not breaking 70C under full load with the founders edition card ;)

NetRngr

TAC Moderator
When I built my current system I water cooled everything, well not the RAM, but CPU and GPU. Damn a fan gimme a water block

Gator

TAC Founder
Well, after spending about $1800 on a recent upgrade, I decided to go with air cooled everything, especially after I saw this guy's review where one the coolers leaked on him

I am using this monster, and it keeps things real cool

RogueSteward

TAC Member
Well, after spending about $1800 on a recent upgrade, I decided to go with air cooled everything, especially after I saw this guy's review where one the coolers leaked on him

That's just a nightmare. I'd literally cry 😭 if water killed my computer. Noctua's are nice! I'm doing a new case build this weekend and got me four noctuas, I'm excited :D

=CDU= Rogue Warrior

CDU Member
I will be honest, I have had a few close calls with Liquid Cooling and Electronic parts.... and some Dumb WTF moments, but there is nothing more satisfying with seeing the end results. I could never go back to AIR lol

Rigormortis

TAC Member
I had my loop fail and two HDs got "wet" one SSD and one HD. turned it off before it started smoking. Long story short a bag of rice some H2O desiccant measures and 24hrs later everything worked. I have had H2O cooling for over 10 yrs and It has failed once and it was 6yrs old when it failed so, draw your own conclusions....or you can believe everything you watch on the internet.

NetRngr

TAC Moderator

Yeah I was hinkey about it at first but the corsair sealed unit Im using was chosen because its a sealed look and not a custom cooling setup which do suffer the drawback of leaking. While this was a sealed unit I have never been a fan of EVGA stuff save the video cards. Corsair has a really good rep and produces quality stuff and I have been nothing but happy with mine.

Top Bottom