New TeamSpeak Server is Online - Please Migrate

Gator

TAC Member
Administrator
Please migrate to the new TeamSpeak server by clicking the "Join" button at the bottom of the block:
I received this email from our TeamSpeak provider today, and this is why we had to move:
Important information regarding Multiplay’s Community Server service

Hello Larry,

We are reaching out because you are an active user of our existing community server services. After reviewing these past few years, we have made the difficult decision to close this service.

All game and voice servers have been taken off sale with immediate effect. Your service will continue to function up until the 28th February 2019. On this date your server will be shut down and you will no longer be able to access our systems. Our global 24/7 support team will be on hand until the 31st March 2019 to help with any requests you may have.

If your service is due to end after 28th February 2019 then a refund will be provided for the remaining days.

Full instructions on how to back-up and retrieve your server data, where available, can be found on our Support Solutions page.

For additional information on the closure of our community server service and the reasons behind this decision, please see our blog post.

Thank you for gaming with us.

Sincerely,

The Multiplay Gameservers team

Last edited:

Axlerod

TAC Member
Administrator
I am worried because TeamSpeak is so slow to evolve and DISCORD has taken over.

Discord is nice for the small groups of disorganized players and ones that don't care about audio quality but it is no substitute for that quality of TeamSpeak.

Other issues server providers are going to run into is the lack of quality games being made to warrant renting a game server. That is where they make there money. TS is just bonus.
We are probably going to have to go to one of the big companies like i3dnet or game servers or the like.

We might look at switching to discord to. Might be something to discuss.

Gator

TAC Member
Administrator
We are probably going to have to go to one of the big companies like i3dnet or game servers or the like.
Multi-play is/was one of the largest, and I have been renting a game or voice server from them since 2003.

RabidRebel

TAC Member
This is no good at all. I hope we can find a replacement service quickly so we dont end up on Discord as a fall back. Has anyone heard any news on TS 5? I thought they were talking end of 2018 for release.

RabidRebel

TAC Member
I did a search for any news on TS 5 and it is crickets since mid 2018. A few forums are making jokes about a Q4 drop that never happened. The latest I found was the new years tweet from TS that included a hashtag for TS 5 is coming.

RabidRebel

TAC Member
Ok. I had to get a mining permit to dig up anything on TS5. The TLDR, it's not looking good. TS users on the official forums are mad. There has been zero news, screen shots, or announcements. TS finally coughed up that they are creating a "micro site" soon to show off what they are testing. This was 17 pages into a topic thread on TS5. Other TS communities are reporting being gutted by Discord while they wait for TS5. Frustration is growing because the Q4 2018 deadline was blown and no real explanation has been provided.

I'm not advocating a switch to another platform. I just wanted to report on what I found regarding TS5.

Gator

TAC Member
Administrator
Okay, I rented a 50-user server (expandable if needed), and it is pretty much set up. Sharp65 helped me recreate all the channels and user groups, so hopefully it will look and feel the same. We need to migrate as soon as possible.

Axlerod

TAC Member
Administrator

Gator, look at all the integrations we can do now with Discord. Might get people to ready message boards to.
It is a bitter pill for me to say we should switch but, I think this is something as a group we should really discuss.

I am not say lets jump ship but discord looks like they just have more to offer especially with them being more connected with game developers.

Gator

TAC Member
Administrator
Don't forget, the sound codec is not as good, and when you text chat, you must chat in a different channel ...Not in the same channel as TeamSpeak , to name a few

Axlerod

TAC Member
Administrator
but you can chat a lot easier.
Plus they do offer more in game support.
Plus a lot more players using it for recruiting.
As far as text chat goes, it will make it easier to let everyone know which is something you turned off in teamspeak. Makes it easier than going from channel to channel to lets guys know.
Plus we can practically incorporate a website to discord. So we can shoot links to our actual forums and maybe get our guys participating more there as well.

just some ideas that need to be discussed.

Patches

TAC Member
What Needs To Be Discussed :unsure: Do it Already Bro.... ?

PS Kindly insert Hyperlink to the cause on Website Homepage ;)

Gator

TAC Member
Administrator
@Axlerod Well, I am all for FREE stuff, but before anyone decides to do anything, I would suggest you try using the Discord server for one week, and then come back to this topic and tell us what you think. Give it a real good test ...that's what I did. I came to the conclusion that it did not provide the quality I expected in a voice server, both in functionality and voice quality. There are positives and negatives, but you have to weigh which one you like the most.

On a side note, you forgot to mention the reason we disabled server-wide chat. It was disabled because too many Admins would inadvertently use the tab to discuss channel only topics, which would broadcast to all all users in all channels. I can remember having to alt-tab out each time someone used that tab, because I thought they were messaging me.

Axlerod

TAC Member
Administrator
Again, i am not saying lets switch.
I am saying we should discuss it because we all need to be sure of the pro's and con's. Yes, both apps have them.

On the side note, I never really had much issue because I run 2 monitors. It was just nice to send stuff to everyone from one location.. This is a great feature that discord does do and it stays.
For the record, I have had my own DISCORD server for quite a while now. It's free so why not try it and test it out. I actually think everyone should.

Bottom line is this, no one seems to be recruiting. Our numbers are not growing. The games I have been playing, most won't get on a teamspeak server because they prefer Discord. Just some thoughts.

again, they say the same thing we know already know. It's is the last part of the article that has to be paid close attention to.

Here is the "Best 9"

Last edited:

Gator

TAC Member
Administrator
Bottom line is this, no one is stopping you from using your own Discord channel, so by all means please feel free to use it. The Armory offers both a "paid" TeamSpeak voice server, and a "free" Armory Sanctioned Discord server, Players can choose from one of these servers, or create a "free" Discord server of their own, as you did. Having tried Discord for a solid week, I genuinely prefer to use TeamSpeak over Discord for the reasons I have previously stated. If anyone wants to use Discord, so be it. If they want to use TeamSpeak, so be it.

We have always recruited players for a single unified game, and right now everyone has gone in so many different directions. Players are now flourishing in their own little ecosystems, and other than perhaps BFV, I don't see any other game that would bring the masses back to the table where recruitment would be necessary. A rental server would help, but I think those days are about over for PC gaming.

Axlerod

TAC Member
Administrator
agreed 100% with you Larry.

This is why I bring up discussing Discord as a viable option. It might bring in more players it might not.
Again, the purpose to to open discussion about it and not to up and switch to discord.

The games have changed and yes currently there is no unified game like I said over 2 years ago.
I am just saying maybe we should start to think about us and what we can do differently.

If you do not think Discord is the answer then I would love to here other suggestions. Not just you and I Larry because i know we are not the only ones that are playing games with the TAC tags on.

Gator

TAC Member
Administrator
I have to go to Walmart, but I will respond to your comments when I get back. I must go ...I hate shopping.

RabidRebel

TAC Member
The games I have been playing, most won't get on a teamspeak server because they prefer Discord.
Regardless of what we are playing, one game or many, it is still helpful to have a number of people around to play various games. Quite frankly, I've been enjoying rotating games lately, so jumping from one player ecosystem to the next has been nice. Axlerod hit it on the head for recruiting that I run into as well. I say join me (us) on Team Speak and it usually ends with a quip about getting Discord. Personally, I'm going to try bending like a reed in the wind by switching to our TAC Discord for these situations. I still prefer the sound quality of Team Speak, but I also recognize Discord is becoming a tech behemoth in gaming voice chat like Facebook, Twitter, or Google. It is really hard to avoid now and a majority of players use it. Not advocating for any switching. Just throwing in a couple pennies of thoughts into the discussion.

Gator

TAC Member
Administrator
Please don't take me wrong when I suggest to folks for them to use the format they like. I didn't mean that in a spiteful way, believe me. I really like the basic premise and functionality of Discord, but I just don't think it is up to par with TeamSpeak, for me. They may get better in the future, so I will always check back and take a second look. For now, I will use TS, especially after testing and seeing the resources it uses. Also, I have never known anyone who had an issue coming in to our TS3 server. Young teenagers can't afford to pay for a TeamSpeak server, so they mostly use the free Discord service to game with their friends, so I could possibly see them having an issue with TeamSpeak ...that's the only thing I can think of.

Oh, and by the way, Axlerod mimicked my "On the side note" during his dissertation about Discord, so I mimicked his "Bottom line is this" when I responded. It was all in fun. ?

Axlerod

TAC Member
Administrator
LOL I am glad what you saw what I did there!?

Audio quality and a few other things are not on par with TS3. I do not mean to make it sound like DISCORD is superior in anyway to teamspeak.

It is just there is a new crowd of gamers out there and they just do not know that there is a real difference and they choose DISCORD for the other reason that quite frankly, non of us care about but they seem to think it is important for there own reasons.

I have had several members get on teamspeak and tell me their concerns but here is a prime example of just the very discussion that has been talked about on teamspeak but where are there opinions???
We can not get everyone on teamspeak now for whatever life arrangements people have. I get that. We all do. This is why we have forums in the first place. So everyone at their leisure can get on and talk and debate their opinions in a civilized manner. Where are those comments now? I really want to hear those ideas.

Top Bottom