To boldly pull the biggest dick move in the universe

NetRngr

TAC Member
Ok so from the title I'm sure you can tell I'm less than pleased with the new Star Trek.

Well let me say what I saw of it was ok but it was quite possibly the biggest dick move in the history of TV.

First the show was an hour long. well the episode was about 20-25 min long the rest of the time was an endless stream of commercials. The episode itself was basically an extended trailer. We saw most of it in the released trailer that was posted here. Now for the huge dick move. If you want to see any more of it you have to sub to CBS all access. There are Two options 5.99 /mo with commercials ( yes they want you to PAY to watch commercials the companies have already paid for) and 10.99 /mo for commercial free. 

Sad to say I will not be watching what promises to be a decent Trek series and will probably kill the series right out of the shoot. I mean my Amazon Prime is 14 bucks a month and these asses want 10.99 a month for commercial free access. Yeah not happening.

Anywho got that outta my system. I'll just watch pirate streams of it cause you know there are gonna be those and if not I'll just pass on the ultimate money grab. 

Gator

TAC Member
Site Administrator
I agree about the "dick" move.  They are offering it on Netflix for customers in 188 different countries except ours... 

CBS Studios International licensed the series to Bell Media for broadcast in Canada, and to Netflix for another 188 countries. For Canada, the premiere will be broadcast on Bell parent CTV on the same night as the U.S. premiere, with subsequent episodes initially aired on Bell's science fiction speciality channels—Space in English, Z in French—before being streamed on CraveTV. For the other countries, Netflix will release each episode of the series for streaming within 24 hours of its U.S. debut. This agreement also saw Bell and Netflix acquire all previous Star Trek series to stream in their entirety.

They are spending between 8 - 8.5 million dollars per episode to give us spectacular CGI, cinematography, and sound.  I read somewhere that the deal they made with Netflix paid for the costs of the episodes, and they will profit from the All Access and Blu-ray disks and other fan sale items.  

After watching episodes 1 & 2, I can't wait until the next episode.  My expectations were high for the series, and they met them.  They included variations of the many sounds such as the pinging sound on the bridge from the original series, as well as making the phasors and communicators similar in design.  The sets look fantastic, and the storyline seems very solid.

I have been a fan since the original release (yes, I watched them live/first broadcast as a kid).   I am a huge, huge fan of Star Trek, and yes, I will pay those bastards to see it.

NetRngr

TAC Member
Im a huge fan as well and am old enough to remember watching the original series as a kid, a very young kid you old coot, and haven't missed a series yet. I'll find a pirate site to watch this one but I will not support these guys in this. I almost pulled the trigger on the cheapo all access then it hit me. The commercials you will be seeing , albeit limited, are already paid for by the companies and these trolling bastards want you to pay again to watch em. I'm sure some MBA bastard came up with this but I'm not paying what I would pay for Netflix and almost what Amazon Prime cost a month for one show.

Hopefully I can see it online someplace if not it will be the first one Ive missed.

Show was pretty good, first episode, but honestly there was more commercial time than show and it was basically a super extended trailer. I'm sure ep 2 was much better.