I need you opinion on website software

Gator

I own a copy of Xenforo forum software, and I am thinking about using it for our site.  I have an old demo site set up to test, so when you get a chance, could you please log in and test it out.  Post a message, start a poll, send a private message to me and test it out.  The database is old, so if you are new to The Armroy forum, you may need to register.

Also, besure to click on a users avatar and look at the pop-up ...very cool

There are many things I like about this software.  It is blazing fast, and clean and easy to do things.  Anyway, please let me know in this post

Here is the Site:  http://www.colormypix.com/xenforo/index.php

• Like 1

"If it's not broken, don't fix it." The website is perfectly functional as is and we don't have near enough traffic to constitute throwing more money into a website. Seems like way too much work for a minor aesthetic change. It's just a waste of time and money in my opinion.
  • Like 1

"If it's not broken, don't fix it." The website is perfectly functional as is and we don't have near enough traffic to constitute throwing more money into a website. Seems like way too much work for a minor aesthetic change. It's just a waste of time and money in my opinion.

No, I own the software.  I guess you didn't read my post carefully.  Invisionboard cost $100 a year for support and updates.  Xenforo is $40 a year.  I asked evertyone to sign in and give it a test. From what I see, nobody has even taken the time to sign in, which is unfortunate

• Like 1

I signed in and browsed a bit. Yes it is snappy fast. I could not see my name in the members section.

http://www.colormypix.com/xenforo/index.php?members/list&page=4

I was not able to find "Gator" in the test site to do a test PM to you. Like you requested

What I was saying in earlier post was a question. Now I see that you have answered. It is $60.00/year cheaper to run.

I would say, Yes, give it a whirl and keep back ups of this one just incase things go south.

Cheers

• Like 1

I signed in and browsed a bit. Yes it is snappy fast. I could not see my name in the members section.

http://www.colormypix.com/xenforo/index.php?members/list&page=4

I was not able to find "Gator" in the test site to do a test PM to you. Like you requested

What I was saying in earlier post was a question. Now I see that you have answered. It is $60.00/year cheaper to run.

I would say, Yes, give it a whirl and keep back ups of this one just incase things go south.

Cheers

Here is you name in the member section.  It is better you use the search, because there are several thousand names in the database.

http://www.colormypix.com/xenforo/index.php?members/list&page=74

Sorry for not finding my name.  I accidentally converted it during the import.  If we we go "live,"  I will import the most current database for use.

• Like 2

I guess i didn't read it carefully enough Gator.. I clicked on the link, it says error cause I don't have an account to the forums that look exactly the same to me so i just exited, my bad lol. But $40 is still WAY too much for some fancy forums. I can't believe you are paying $100 for this. Just give us invisionboard or whatever that free one is. It's all the same, and you save your money.

I guess i didn't read it carefully enough Gator.. I clicked on the link, it says error cause I don't have an account to the forums that look exactly the same to me so i just exited, my bad lol. But $40 is still WAY too much for some fancy forums. I can't believe you are paying $100 for this. Just give us invisionboard or whatever that free one is. It's all the same, and you save your money.

Okay, let me give you the low-down:

InvisionBoard

Costs $175 for the base board, $50 for IP.Content module, $65 for IP.Gallery module, for a total of $290 (all of which I paid for with my personal money)  I also bought a few third party add-ons for an additional approx $100, so I spent about 400 of my own personal funds for the software (I, me, personally own the software).  With that said, the clan recently started helping pay for some of the support and updates which run about $70 every 6 months.

Xenforo

Costs $140, which I purchased for my other website.  It hasn't been used, so I thought I would use it for our site.  At least see if everyone would like it.  The downside is I would have to initially pay for the support for one year @ $40, and if I add a Gallery module, it would cost $60, plus $10 more dollars a year for updates and support.  If we wanted to have the donate module, I would have to purchase it for another $50

vBulletin 4.0

I also own a copy of that software, but it is no longer used, and they have limited support for it.

phpBB

Is a free forum software, and is very nice, but lacks some features you get from the paid software.  It is free though...

Lastly, you said we can't justify the cost, because we don't have that much traffic to the site.  I beg to differ with you.  We want all of our members to have the best of the best possible, and we want to be proud of our site.  Aesthetics, functionality, and speed are important, and I was just trying to get everyone's opinion about the Xenfore forum board.  In the long run, it would save us money, and yet give us the latest in web technology for our members  ...even if there were only 5 of us.   

• Like 2

The other site would have worked, but the time needed to get it up to speed would have been too long.  I have invested to much time in creating the old site (IPBoard), and have decided to keep what we have.  We will, however, update to the newer version of the IPBoard software when I think the time is right.

Sorry for all the confusion,

Larry (Gator)

• Like 1

The other site would have worked, but the time needed to get it up to speed would have been too long.  I have invested to much time in creating the old site (IPBoard), and have decided to keep what we have.  We will, however, update to the newer version of the IPBoard software when I think the time is right.

Sorry for all the confusion,

Larry (Gator)

Hey Larry

You tried. It's all good Bro... :)

• Like 3