Beta started

B3R3TTA

Some impressions:

I played for about 30 minutes. Game looks good and runs great on ultra settings. The infantry gameplay feels pretty similar to BF4 but more refined. Vehicles feel much different but better. It feels like you're actually inside one of them when driving. The attack planes are fun to use. It has a machine gun as the primary weapon and bombs as secondary. They work sorta like the bombs did in BF2 except the pilot has them this time, and it also has a 2nd seat for rear gunner. The plane can take several hits before being taken down and you can repair the plane from the pilot seat but you lose control of the plane when you try to do so.There are fighter planes as well which serve primarily to take out the attack planes. As for the tanks, I've only played as the Ottoman Empire so far (other team was British Empire), and just used their light tank which is pretty good, it's pretty slow, and has decent armor for a light tank, but you'll want a gunner because the gunner controls the cannon while the driver controls the machine gun. I haven't had a chance to use the horses yet but I was killed by one. They're really fast. i was shooting at one, hitting it several times and it still managed to close the gap and kill me.  Vehicle spawning works like BF4 and now there's an animation when you enter a vehicle that's already on the map (such as a tank or armored car) so you don't magically appear in or out of the vehicle.

As for the map itself, it's pretty big. The town is kinda the focal point of the map with the train spawning right outside. Most of the infantry combat will take place here with vehicle combat taking place outside. There's transportation available at the main base that you should take advantage of or you'll be running several hundred meters just to the first flag. You can control the train, moving it up and down the tracks. It has weapons on it that will shred through planes and other vehicles, and it's hard to take down, but it can only cover a portion of the map and I'm not sure if it respawns or not. A good strategy for taking this train out is to use the speed of the horses to ride along side it and use anti-tank grenades. Or just bomb it from the attack plane. Unfortunately there's a sandstorm on this map like Gulf of Oman so it makes it harder to see but not quite as bad as Gulf of Oman.

The tickets count forwards from 0 to whatever the limit set by the server is. I was playing on normal mode so what I wrote above about some of the vehicles will probably be different on hardcore mode. The user interface reminds me of Battlefront. Actually to be truthful the game really looks like Battlefront but in a WWI setting.

Will post more thoughts later but this sums up most of what I got out of it.

• Like 1

- The server browser indicates EA/DICE will be running all the servers this time.  The servers are numbered high, and they have lots of them, which tells me they they will be in sole control of the servers, and the GSPs will not be used.  In previous Battlefield Betas, the GSPs were given an opportunity to run the Beta so they could test the server load.  Not the case this time.  

- I looked at the server filter, and there was no selection for Hardcore, so I can assume there will be no hardcore as well

Of course, we will not know for sure until the game is released, but it is not looking good for having a clan server, or even being able to play in hardcore mode

• Like 1

I learned something new (and very neat), if you click on the vehicle icon on the map, at the bottom of the screen, a little menu comes up where you can select which of the vehicles you want. For example, if you click on the plane icon, at the bottom, an attack plane, a fighter plane, and a bomber plane icon show up. You can pick which of the 3 you want to spawn in. Same goes for tanks.

NONE of the previous BF Betas had Hardcore settings, it was always softcore, which I hated. Even back when I was doing some Testing for 2142 through Combat testing, it was always Softcore mode!

Yes, but this interface is similar to Battlefront, and they never had a hardcore server