How to Back Up and Restore Your Files in Windows 10

Gator

I do something similar using a third party software that runs a script on shutdown that copies all files from my Rocksmith DLC / CDLC folder to an external drive just in case as I have around 2300 songs in there and no list of which ones are there so if it were to crash it would be a monumental task to recreate that library. I also have sheet music there and tabs for playing offline as well. All of my MP3s are stored on this external drive as well and are synced on shutdown as well.

Backups are a good thing folks.

Cool, I'll give it a looksee. On a positive note my new domain equipment here at the office has started coming in. It was kind of a shock to walk into the job and see no domain in a business this complex. 3 or 4 companies in multiple states and the main office has workstations with Win10 Home on them and no domain. Storage is an external drive attached to a laptop at two locations, Backed up using Carbonite. No DCs, Print servers, or RAID storage. I kinda lost my breath.

They told me they were going to start doing certain things that required them have people's personal information, One of the businesses is property management for their apt buildings, and I was like ... No you aren't. After explaining the requirements that HIPAA and PCI Compliance have, they understood just how much it would cost them per violation and I got to plan the new domain and all the security needed.

Not a huge network like I'm used to but I will be able to nail it shut pretty tightly quickly and easily.

Cool, I'll give it a looksee. On a positive note my new domain equipment here at the office has started coming in. It was kind of a shock to walk into the job and see no domain in a business this complex. 3 or 4 companies in multiple states and the main office has workstations with Win10 Home on them and no domain. Storage is an external drive attached to a laptop at two locations, Backed up using Carbonite. No DCs, Print servers, or RAID storage. I kinda lost my breath.

They told me they were going to start doing certain things that required them have people's personal information, One of the businesses is property management for their apt buildings, and I was like ... No you aren't. After explaining the requirements that HIPAA and PCI Compliance have, they understood just how much it would cost them per violation and I got to plan the new domain and all the security needed.

Not a huge network like I'm used to but I will be able to nail it shut pretty tightly quickly and easily.

Yikes, I'm surprised an MSP hasnt called on them? is there noi MSP(managed Service Providers) in that area?

Yeah there are a few but honestly they really could get by with just standalone PCs until recently. They started planning to do a lot of things that will require security audits and a lot more advanced things. Most of the property management end is on hosted systems so there wasn't really a need but when I walked in the "server" room I almost crapped myself. I had heard of the mythical "laptop based portable server" before but had not actually seen one til then hahaha.
  • Haha 1

Yeah there are a few but honestly they really could get by with just standalone PCs until recently. They started planning to do a lot of things that will require security audits and a lot more advanced things. Most of the property management end is on hosted systems so there wasn't really a need but when I walked in the "server" room I almost crapped myself. I had heard of the mythical "laptop based portable server" before but had not actually seen one til then hahaha.

yep they exist and ohhh so easily portable, nothing says take my data like a laptop running running as your server :) And man they are ohh so reliable when it comes to hard drives and power

Ha! Yessir. I was amazed at the NAS. A removable HD on the laptop lol. Was able to talk with the guy that's been here a while and he didn't set this up and has his AS degree from the local tech school and I asked him what kind of Windows domain exp and or Windows server exp he had. None. He said what he did most of his time there was make cables and troubleshoot wiring. Time to put on my mentoring boots.

Ha! Yessir. I was amazed at the NAS. A removable HD on the laptop lol. Was able to talk with the guy that's been here a while and he didn't set this up and has his AS degree from the local tech school and I asked him what kind of Windows domain exp and or Windows server exp he had. None. He said what he did most of his time there was make cables and troubleshoot wiring. Time to put on my mentoring boots.

Wow so is there an IT staff? who was in charge of the tech before you?

Yes, I subscribe annually to www.idrive.com and back up all but system and non-personal game files. idrive.com is a good service and allows you to backup multiple devices on one account.

does anybody use there one drive from microsoft? i have saved alot of old gaming files i even forgot i had until i looked into my old account, dont know if its worthy of backing up my system file to the cloud kinda scares me.... but as of this last build i forgot how to properly set up windows so working backwords is kicking my ass lol, this is why i think everyone should build there own, i had to resort to some YT vids to set it up properly but only found one that was close,, building assembly is the easy part its all the other stuff they dont tell you that had me going after i havent done a build for years, i have a video im thinking about posting its a bit long but it goes through everything but it sure beats starting a an old noob again lmao.

Wow so is there an IT staff? who was in charge of the tech before you?

I wouldn't say IT staff per se hahaha. The guy that was/is here really doesn't have a clue and it's really not his fault. He went to the local tech school for administration but after talking to him I seriously need to talk to the folks I know there about some changes that need to be made over there asap. He was never exposed to a Windows domain based network at all and only got basic workstation break/fix exp.

He actually told me that a good portion of his time in the Tech related courses was spent making cables.... <mind blown>

As soon as the mountain of equipment I have ordered gets here We are gonna have what I like to refer to as instructional time. I'm gonna make him strawng!

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4b7d92aa-521c-4781-8701-8e5200eede4a

• Haha 1

does anybody use there one drive from microsoft? i have saved alot of old gaming files i even forgot i had until i looked into my old account, dont know if its worthy of backing up my system file to the cloud kinda scares me.... but as of this last build i forgot how to properly set up windows so working backwords is kicking my ass lol, this is why i think everyone should build there own, i had to resort to some YT vids to set it up properly but only found one that was close,, building assembly is the easy part its all the other stuff they dont tell you that had me going after i havent done a build for years, i have a video im thinking about posting its a bit long but it goes through everything but it sure beats starting a an old noob again lmao.

MS OneDrive is good as is Google Drive. I store my CDLC files for Rocksmith that I created there, Google Drive, as a host so that others can DL them from Customs Forge. Its secure and no one can download anything unless you specifically give them rights to download or you set it public. I use OneDrive for work stuff as you get a business OneDrive with your Office 365 sub.

I wouldn't say IT staff per se hahaha. The guy that was/is here really doesn't have a clue and it's really not his fault. He went to the local tech school for administration but after talking to him I seriously need to talk to the folks I know there about some changes that need to be made over there asap. He was never exposed to a Windows domain based network at all and only got basic workstation break/fix exp.

He actually told me that a good portion of his time in the Tech related courses was spent making cables.... <mind blown>

As soon as the mountain of equipment I have ordered gets here We are gonna have what I like to refer to as instructional time. I'm gonna make him strawng!

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4b7d92aa-521c-4781-8701-8e5200eede4a

that sounds about par for the course on Community College. I went to get my degree a few years back. Using my GI bill and so I was experienced just going to tick a block and get paper. I was pretty appalled. I learned quite a bit in my cisco classes. the windows Admin stuff was barely a taste. They used this virtual crap course that had you do things in the most arcane way. Based offa MS book. Half the students in the course didn't pay attention and there were a few older females that were at the end of the degree and couldn't even manage a home router. How do you have 2 years in Cisco and other IT and get to managing wireless but have no clue how to set up a Linksys wrt54g ????? So you have a guy with a degree that is in charge of a network and system and his greatest accomplishment is he knows how to make a patch cable. you have a lot of training to do lol!