Just a note of appreciation and a request for help

ACS

I am sure most of you are aware we have a new server. Some of you haven't had the pleasure of trying it yet, but believe me, as the server lets you know, it is '60Hz of gaming bliss'.

What some of you may not be aware of, is the amount of work that goes in to setting up a new server. The amount of time, effort, and telephone calls/support tickets that have been sent recently are more than you would imagine. The stress of changing servers, to have it crash several times, having spent all this time and effort setting it up, is the epitome of frustration.

There have been several contributors to this process, which I feel deserve special mention.

RogueSteward - when he has been available, has spent time searching the internet looking for alternative servers and helping test the new server.

Axlerod - As usual, Axle has been available as much as possible. His experience of server admin has been a great help in ensuring the new server runs as smoothly as it does. He has also been a leading force in trying to get the server populated and back on everyone's favorites list. However, perhaps his biggest contribution has been his constant and incessant whining about having a 64 player 60Hz server! We had to place a virus on his computer to mess with his audio / TeamSpeak to give us some respite, but to no avail.  :tongue:

Gatornade - without doubt, the person who has been the biggest influence and main reason we are now enjoying '60Hz of gaming bliss'. The hours of configuring the server, testing the server, resolving issues, issuing admin rights etc., etc., etc. While most of us were sitting down to Thanksgiving lunch/dinner, Gator was feverishly working on the server, ensuring it was ready for the 'evening crowd' to enjoy. The crowd didn't turn up - more due to Thanksgiving than server relocation - but it was there and available to enjoy if you wanted to.

The effort is truly more than we really know, which is why I wanted to raise peoples awareness and appreciation for what Gator does for the clan. Even after 13 years of doing this, his passion for gaming, his passion for improving the clan, and his passion for making sure we, as a clan, are as tech savvy as the Jones', is as strong as ever.

Donators - without people donating their hard earned money, none of this would be possible. So a big thank you goes out to all of you too!

I would encourage you all to offer your appreciation in the comments below. However, there is one more thing we, as a clan, can do. I understand that this time of year has more time commitments than most, but would ask that to show your appreciation to the guys above by making every effort to try and get on the server in the evening so we can really test it at capacity. Also, it will let us know if you have any issues yourself that can be resolved. As always, we would have some fun, but also show that the effort put in by the guys above was really worth it. Even if you can only manage 30 minutes or 1 match, your support would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 8

Thanks for all your kind words, ACS, but you too have been an essential hands-on participant in making the server a success.   When it comes down to making a successful server, it really takes a village (all of us) to make it happen.  Kudos to all those who have helped get the server over the past months.  It's not always fun to sit and wait for players to show up, but we have a dedicated few of us who do, and to those folks, I would like to thank you for helping make the server a fun place to play.  
  • Like 3

So now I know what happened to my headset! LOL

If you have not gotten on in a while you should really try this out. I get no lag and when I hit someone they actually die now. No more of this ducking behind cover just to find out you were already dead stuff that looks like the other guy is shooting you through a building anymore. This is how the game should have been released from the start.

• Like 4

I noticed a little bit of lag on Lost Islands and the server performance icon popping up consistently between yellow and orange last night. This is a water intensive map, and as such, puts the server under more stress. To my knowledge, DICE have still not released a fix for this on 60Hz servers but have identified it as being an issue and are testing the fix on the CTE. Hopefully the impending patch will rectify this.

The problem is only noticeable once the server nears full capacity on a water intensive map (from my experience so far). I also think that for some, the lag or slight degradation in performance, is more noticeable because the server has been running so smoothly. Any interruption to that is very obvious especially if the warning icons are showing too. Maybe people with higher end systems notice less difference, maybe not. I know I have one of the lowest end systems in the clan and I notice once the server reaches the 'threshold'. I believe it is still playable, but would welcome a fix very soon!

I also think  it would be the same on any equivalent server too, because it is the texture on the water maps causing the issue and not the server. Maybe a second core would help this but with a potential fix being just around the corner, is it worth the outlay?

• Like 2

I noticed a little bit of lag on Lost Islands and the server performance icon popping up consistently between yellow and orange last night. This is a water intensive map, and as such, puts the server under more stress. To my knowledge, DICE have still not released a fix for this on 60Hz servers but have identified it as being an issue and are testing the fix on the CTE. Hopefully the impending patch will rectify this.

The problem is only noticeable once the server nears full capacity on a water intensive map (from my experience so far). I also think that for some, the lag or slight degradation in performance, is more noticeable because the server has been running so smoothly. Any interruption to that is very obvious especially if the warning icons are showing too. Maybe people with higher end systems notice less difference, maybe not. I know I have one of the lowest end systems in the clan and I notice once the server reaches the 'threshold'. I believe it is still playable, but would welcome a fix very soon!

I also think  it would be the same on any equivalent server too, because it is the texture on the water maps causing the issue and not the server. Maybe a second core would help this but with a potential fix being just around the corner, is it worth the outlay?

Hear, hear